All EBV-infected cells were found to be B lymphocytes. About 90% of the infected B cells are found in the interfollicular regions of tonsils and adenoids and the remaining 10% are found within the follicles. There is no significant association between EBV infection, age (P = 0.324) and gender (P = 0.442).\n\nConclusion: EBV is associated with tonsillar hypertrophy and
is prevalent in 43% of our cases. EBV is only detected in B lymphocytes and we believe that B lymphocytes are sites of primary infection and latency. In situ hybridization is the gold standard for the detection of EBV in tissue. (C) 2011 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.”
“The central dogma of gene expression is that DNA is transcribed into messenger RNAs, which in turn serve as the MK-1775 template for protein synthesis. The discovery of extensive transcription of large RNA transcripts that do not code for proteins, termed long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs), provides an important new perspective on the centrality of RNA in gene regulation. Here, we
discuss genome-scale strategies to discover and characterize lncRNAs. An emerging theme from multiple model systems is that lncRNAs form extensive networks of ribonucleoprotein (RNP) complexes with numerous chromatin regulators and then target these enzymatic activities to appropriate locations in the genome. Consistent with this notion, lncRNAs can function as modular scaffolds to selleck chemicals specify higher-order organization in RNP complexes and in chromatin states. The importance of these modes of regulation is underscored by the newly recognized roles of long RNAs for proper gene control across all kingdoms of life.”
“A 7 yr old spayed female
Chihuahua presented for right hind limb lameness and reduced stifle range of motion. Radiographs showed a marked patella baja of the right stifle and evidence of a previous surgery to correct a medial patellar luxation. A tibial tuberosity osteotomy was performed to allow proximal translation of the tibial tuberosity, which was stabilized with a tibial tuberosity advancement plate. Four weeks postoperatively, lameness and articular range of motion were improved, and the use of anti-inflammatory and analgesic medications was discontinued. PFTα The dog was still ambulating well and had no lameness 12 mo postsurgically. (J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2012; 48:113-117. DOI 10.5326/JAAHA-MS-5686)”
“Background and purpose: The aetiopathogenesis of fatigue in multiple sclerosis (MS) is not clear. It could be associated with structural changes of the central nervous system, but also with mood and sleep disorders. The purpose of the study was to evaluate frequency of fatigue and its association with sleep and mood disorders in MS patients.\n\nMaterial and methods: The examined group consisted of 122 MS patients (mean age 37.7 +/- 10.8 years).